Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Shabbat.

Shabbat is the Hebrew word for sabbath (The "H" letter just likes to bounce around and suddenly you're speaking ancient Hebrew...).

My Sabbath is always Tuesday.

But there is a tension.

Sabbath comes from an old testament law that the Jewish people observed (They got it from God's "seventh day" and it was created for rest). Every seventh day, the Jewish people had over a hundred individual laws that they could not break just for this day alone.

It would almost have taken more effort to keep the Sabbath in all it's fullness than to live a day of work. The rest that it was designed for was manipulated into a religious mindset.

But there is a tension.

We are no longer under the law, but the Law was the heart of God before our redemption was made complete.

My heart is to take a Holy day, a day set apart from the rest, intended for rest... A day that is dedicated to God.

That day is today. Tuesday for me.

In an effort to find the divine tension between living a Holy day of rest, and yet not to make it a religious practice, I have boiled myself down a short definition (yet it is subject to change):

On Tuesday, Kendall doesn't do anything that he must do, and everything he does is done out of choosing God first.

That is a shabbat to me. Today I rest. Today I set apart. Today I praise the King of Glory. Today I do only what is optional. Today I do nothing that I have to do.

Shabbat.


1 comment:

Levi Mathias Johnson said...

I like your way of explaining the sabbath. Mine is whenever it becomes available(usually Sunday or Monday) It involves me doing things that I want to do that are constructive, and don't cause me stress. Sometimes this involves washing my dishes, which I feel good about when I'm done.